BT II technology in seeds has bought a revolution in lives of farmers. The farmers are becoming prosperous, thanks to the increased yield of their produce.
Research by Indian Market Research Bureau (IMRB) in 2007 on the benefits of BT cotton concluded that BT cotton farmers earn average 64% higher income (Rs. 8,669) per acre than conventional seed farmers. On average, BT cotton seeds provided cotton farmers with yields of 700-900 kg. per acre vs. 300-400 kg. per acre with conventional seeds.
Research further indicated that 87% of India’s BT cotton farmers enjoyed better lifestyles, 84% increased peace of mind, 72% invested in their children’s education, and a significant 67% repaid their long pending debts.
With an objective to position Bollgard II as a ‘Partner in Progress’, the ‘Pragati Utsav’ campaign was designed and conducted which included health and wellness checks for farmers and their families, along with veterinary and tractor check‐ups.
The challenge was to conduct the event so as to cover maximum farmers, at the same time informing the farmers about the event was a task in hand.
Since reach would drive higher footfalls for the activity, the Ascent team adopted a two‐pronged approach wherein coverage to target area was aimed by reaching out to main villages where the “Pragati Utsaav” was to take place; and sub villages (nearby villages) were targeted for pulling the footfall.
Main village was chosen to be the venue for the camps and sub villages were targeted for pre event promotion. This apart, the team Ascent identified some important touch points in target villages like ‘Aangan Wadi’, ‘Panchayat’, bus stand and local shops (Paan‐Bidi) for pre event promotion by doing handing out leaflets and having a word with people across these touch points.
- Minimum of 5 villages were covered daily, with numbers going up to 11 some days.
- Door to Door Contact program to ensure proper connection with TG.
- Localized leaflets were distributed.
- Bannering at key locations.
- Team composition – 4 promoters along with a branded TATA Ace.
- The main event was a setup in a bigger village where check-ups were conducted and engagement with TG happened.
- A team of qualified MBBS doctor, veterinary doctor and a tractor mechanic for check-up camp.
- An anchor, an event coordinator, one supervisor and two promoters in other team ensured proper management and engagement for TG>
- Snake and ladder was converted into’Pragati Ki Sidhi’ as an engagement game for farmers, which generated huge response.