E-commerce, a sector that created buzz in the late 90s, has bounced back with India emerging as the fastest growing and largest Internet market in terms of number of users. However, the strongest argument against e-commerce – the buying behavior of Indian customers is non-virtual, is forcing the e-commerce industry to go offline. This time, it is showing a lot of interest in outdoor advertising and BTL.
The aim of these companies is to take online shopping to a wider audience – especially customers from non-metros, who perhaps haven’t experienced online shopping at all. The non-virtual attitude of Indian customers being the biggest hindrance, BTL or experiential marketing again plays a very crucial role in their marketing strategies.
Recent market news shows that e-commerce companies are involving extensively in outdoor & BTL campaigns.
- Flipkart, for example, has adapted to a mix of mediums in its outdoor campaign – billboards, ads/ wraps on buildings, branding on buses/trains along with BTL activities.
- eBay India had undertaken a high visibility outdoor campaign after a period of two years for a duration of two months by investing 25 percent of its budget only on outdoor advertising. They have also tied up with PVR Cinemas in more than 20 locations by giving away discount coupons with every PVR ticket purchased. Branding across these locations was also a part of this partnership. In addition, eBay also collaborated with a popular coffee chain Café Coffee Day to exploit in-café branding opportunities.
Ascent Brand Communications, with its vast experience and wide understanding of the market, suggests TG specific BTL campaigns for e-commerce industry.
- Since youngsters are their soft target and show maximum adaptability to online shopping, the corporate & colleges become their obvious choice for touch points, when it comes to BTL activations.
- In-retail promotions are also coming handy for these e-commerce brands. The data shows, that the footfall across the electronic stores like Croma & e-zone are increasing by the day. Advertising in 20 odd TVs of these stores becomes a lucrative option for these marketers.
- This apart, setting up touch & feel zones for the walk-ins can be another activation that can be tried at these stores.
- When it comes to further targeting Tier-III & Tier-IV cities, van campaigns are the tried and tested activation modules, applying with the same efficiency to the e-commerce companies. Apart from this, TG based activations at touch points like colleges can also be fruitful.
Given the current scenarios, outdoor & BTL is the best foot forward for any e-commerce company trying to expand its user base. At Ascent, our commitment is to maximize your ground reach. A partnership with Ascent would ensure you are ahead of the competition, always.
We look forward to have a fruitful relationship with your organization.