Posted on July 12, 2016
Puppet show is a proven medium for rural marketing campaign giving meaningful engagement with rural audience
The life that people have in this era basically involves work and worry, there are issues that need to be dealt with at house, office and self. This amplifies in rural areas, contrary to popular belief life is complicated when you live without the resources that promise to make your life more convenient.
This adds to the stress that rural marketers are already in, imagine trying to sell a product to people who are easily agitated and already grieving the economy. This way the challenge extends to easing the audience into the marketing process before actually being able to sell the product.
People are not ready to accept the age old selling methods, to some extend they work but when creating a distinct name for a product or service that puts the brand in the headlines is considered, innovation is the key. Finding a way that not only makes the audiences want to stay but also listen and understand the features of the product.
Registration of the emotion and retention of the name is the key to succeeding through a rural marketing campaign but how to break through the monotony of life and create magic is the real question.
What is the problem?
Making rural marketing campaign interesting enough to attract and hold audience’s interest.
What can be the solution?
Three words, plain and simple-
Entertainment, Entertainment and Entertainment.
If people want refreshment, give it to them and subtly combine your marketing objectives under the pretense of fun and rejuvenation.
One of the best ways to do that in rural areas is through, everyone’s favorite- Puppet shows.
A dramatic performance delivered by a puppeteer with dialogues and background music using human looking dolls controlled through strings by the puppeteer.
The art of puppeteer has a long tradition in Rajasthan, but the puppets themselves are fairly simple creations.
Photograph showing such show from a fair while people capturing it on mobile video.
Advantages of using puppet shows in rural marketing campaigns
- Attendance and participation of audienceIn rural areas, puppet shows are considered an attractive option for entertainment and thus attracts a lot of crowd easily. This also attracts some unlikely candidates who shy away from other promotional activities. This is best suited to draw out women out of the houses with the whole family as it is not considered a business activity but rather fun one. This way a diverse audience can be accumulated which can be useful while trying to market homely products or services.
At the same time, the crowd brings the promise of participation as they often enjoy responding to a puppet rather than a foreign looking salesman.
- Keeping things interestingThe puppet show is designed to make the audience jump now and then, this dramatic value ups the excitement of the crowd. This energy brings a positive aura to the event and people wish to stay longer in such places.
- Efficient branding activityThe puppet show is designed to make the audience jump now and then, this dramatic value ups the excitement of the crowd. This energy brings a positive aura to the event and people wish to stay longer in such places.
- Sharing and caringThe thing about rural areas is that almost everyday people like to get together and share each other’s daily adventures. When a brand breaks through using a puppet show, it is sure to become the talk of the town during these discussions. This positive word of mouth and exposure goes a long way with the brand.
- Cost benefit It goes without saying that in comparison to its impact, the cost is utilized in an effective manner. Even the return on investment remains nearly impossible to be devised, no one can deny the impact.